Top Product Reviews & Rankings 2013
Based on Consumer Experience and Feedback
Give this report 5 mins of your time. These 5 mins might help you cure the problem and save you from wasting your money, time and energy on remedies that don’t work.
Looking in the mirror and seeing telltale signs of acne (whiteheads, blackheads, or pimples) may make you want to scream in frustration, especially if you’re an adult. Thankfully, there are numerous ways to get rid of the unsightly bumps and redness associated with acne , so you can achieve the smooth, clear skin you long for.
What is Acne?
Acne is a skin condition characterized by the formation of scaly red skin, pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and papules. Often, there is also scarring that is caused by picking at the bumps or certain acne treatments.
This skin problem primarily affects adolescents going through puberty, but adults can also suffer from acne in varying degrees of severity. The most common places acne pops up is on the face, back, and upper chest. However, it may also develop on the shoulders and buttocks, and women and post-pubescent girls may also get it on their breasts.
What Causes It?
Most people think acne is caused by consuming so-called “bad” foods like chocolate and soda. While diet does play a small part in the development of this skin disorder, the primary causes of acne are hormones called androgens and testosterone in particular.
These androgens stimulate the hair follicles to produce more sebum (oil), which can clog skin pores when it mixes with bacteria and dirt. The pore gradually grows bigger until it ruptures and eventually causes inflammation. This inflammation leads to pustules, pimples, and cysts depending on where it occurs.
Although hormones are the main factor in the development of acne, there are contributing factors including:
- Genetics – People with parents or other relatives who had acne are more predisposed to developing it. However, that doesn’t mean it’s guaranteed you will have it.
- Diet – Food by itself doesn’t cause acne, though some studies do indicate chocolate and milk may aggravate an existing condition. However, the foods you eat can affect your hormones, particularly if you eat large quantities of sugar. The resulting hormonal balance can have a negative effect on your skin’s health.
- Bacterium – Bacteria has been found to have an effect on the development of acne, but doesn’t cause the condition by itself.
- Psychological – Stress alone doesn’t cause acne, but it can increase the severity of breakouts and induce flare-ups after periods of inactivity.
- Skin care – Excessive washing can irritate and dry skin, contributing to inflammation and making the problem even more uncomfortable.
- Pressure – Continuous pressure in one area (such as from wearing a helmet) can lead to acne developing in the affected area.
- Drugs – Some drugs such as steroids, prednisone, and lithium can affect hormones and either cause or worsen acne.
- Cosmetics – Makeup and other cosmetics that contain oil can clog pores. It’s best to use water-based cleansers and moisturizers, always remove makeup before going to bed.
Clearing up your acne will take time and effort, but with consistent action and a few of these remedies, you can achieve acne-free skin.
- Unclog pores using pore strips – These products help pull excess oil and dirt from pores, which minimize the clogs that lead to acne.
- Facials – Spa facials are done by a professional cosmetologist and typically involve using special scrubs and cleansers to clean facial skin. In addition to unclogging pores, facials exfoliate dead cells so your skin looks clear and smooth.
- Chemical Peels – This is one step above facials. A chemical solution is used to strip the top layers of skin from the face, forcing the body to grow new skin to replace it.
- Target pimples with toothpaste – Toothpaste has a substance called silica, which can help dry out the pimple. Dab a tiny amount over the pimple and leave on overnight. The pimple should be smaller when you wash your face in the morning. Toothpaste can irritate skin, so daily use is not recommended.
- Benzoyl peroxide – Commonly used for medicinal purposes, benzoyl peroxide helps minimize the formation of comedones and reduces inflammation. Dab a small amount to affected area once per day. This substance may cause skin dryness and peeling. It can increase your sensitivity to the sun, so always use sunscreen when going outside.
- Azelaic Acid – This is an alternative treatment that’s similar to benzoyl peroxide in that it kills bacteria and sloughs away dead skin cells. However, it’s generally less irritating and doesn’t make your skin more sensitive to sunlight, though you should still wear sunscreen when outdoors.
- Comedone Extractor – You should avoid popping pimples because it can cause scarring. However, a comedone extractor is a small device designed to clean out the debris in blackheads and whiteheads, which can help them go away faster.
- Photodynamic therapy – This skin therapy consists of shining a special light onto your face to improve acne.
Many people suffering from acne seek medical assistance with overcoming the condition. Depending on the severity of your condition, your healthcare provider may prescribe medication to eliminate or control acne outbreaks.
- Retinoids – These are topical treatments made from vitamin A. They reduce the amount of oil the face produces while also stopping dead skin cells from clogging hair follicles. Like benzoyl peroxide, these medications can make your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Antibiotics – Since bacteria can make acne worse, the doctor may prescribe topical or oral antibiotics to kill them. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to see results.
- Hormone therapies – Hormones are a big contributor to acne development, so the doctor may prescribe hormone treatments such as oral contraceptives, spironolactone, or co-cyprindiol. These drugs regulate hormones associated with the menstrual cycle or block the production of androgens. However, they can cause side effects such as headaches, sore breasts, and mood changes.
- Isotretinoin – This is an oral medication that has been proven to normalize oil production, prevent clogged pores, decrease bacteria, and reduce inflammation. It’s prescribed in four- to six-month courses and can take over a week to begin working. However, some common side effects include a temporary worsening of acne, fluctuations in blood sugar levels, and blood in your urine.
- Cortisone injections – Cortisone is an injected steroid medication that can reduce the size of large cysts and pimples.
- Resufacing treatments – This treatment is for the scars that are left behind by acne. It consists of using lasers to even out the skin’s surface. It can eliminate shallow scars and make deeper scars less noticeable.
In addition to or in lieu of acne medication, you can try these home remedies for treating your skin problem.
- Baking soda – Make a baking soda mask by mixing equal parts baking soda and water. Apply to individual pimples using a Q-Tip and leave on for 10 minutes. Thoroughly rinse. Do this twice a day until your face clears up.
- Lemon facial – Rub one half of a lemon onto your face. It will sting a little, but that’s because the citric acid is killing the bacteria contributing to your acne. Rinse your face thoroughly and wear sunscreen whenever you’re outside.
- Potato treatment – Potatoes have anti-inflammatory properties that can help reduce acne. Rub half a potato over your face, wait about five minutes and then rinse your face thoroughly. Do this once a day until your face clears.
- Ice treatment – Reduce swelling and inflammation by rubbing an ice cube over your face. This will help constrict blood vessels and minimize the appearance of inflammation.
- Tea tree oil – This essential oil has been used for hundreds of years to treat an assortment of skin disorders. It has antifungal and antibacterial properties. Apply a small amount of the oil to your face twice a day after washing.
- Make an egg mask – Mix an egg and apply to the face using massaging motions. Leave on for 2 to 3 minutes and rinse completely. Do this twice per day. The immunoglobins and Omega-3 fatty acids in the egg yolks will reduce inflammation and minimize the bumps.
- Aspirin treatment – Ground an aspirin to powder and mix with a little bit of water. Using a Q-Tip, dab a small amount directly onto the pimple and let dry. The salicylic acid in the aspirin dries out the pustule and kills bacteria.
- Apple cider vinegar – Made from fermented apples, apple cider vinegar help kill bacteria and dry out excess oil. Mix one part apple cider vinegar with three parts water and use a cotton ball to apply to face. Let sit for 10 minutes and then rinse your face. Do this twice per day and be certain to moisturize.
- Honey and Cinnamon Mask – Honey and cinnamon both have antibacterial properties. Additionally, cinnamon helps stimulate circulation while honey provides some exfoliation. Combine 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and apply to the face. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
Tips for Self-Care
Medication and home remedies can only do so much. To get your acne under control, you must take a holistic approach that encompasses the overall health of your body and skin. Specifically with acne, you’ll need to include therapies that help keep pores clear, minimize bacteria, reduce oil on the face, and keep your hormones under control.
- Start with basic skin care – Wash your face twice a day using a mild water-based antibacterial cleanser. Be certain to use lukewarm water to rinse. Water that’s too hot or too cold can make your acne symptoms worse. Additionally, you should pat skin dry rather than rubbing it as this can aggravate your skin.
- Change your diet – As noted before, high blood sugar levels can negatively impact your hormones. Even if you don’t have diabetes, it’s important to keep your blood sugar levels in a normal range. Minimize the amount of refined carbohydrates you eat. Instead, choose complex carbs like brown rice and wheat bread. Exchange sugary drinks for water. Water nourishes the skin, keeping it supple and glowing.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables – These foods have necessary vitamins and minerals the body needs to function properly. Foods like pomegranates, sweet peppers, strawberries, and plums have antioxidants and other vital nutrients that protect the skin and keep it looking great.
- Avoid manipulating pimples – Never pick or squeeze your pimples. Not only can doing so make your acne worse and increase inflammation, it can cause scars to form.
- Exercise more – Exercise can reduce stress and make the body function more efficiently, both of which can help keep minimize acne breakouts. You should get a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic activity per day for at least 4 to 5 days per week. Even walking at a brisk pace will do you some good.
- Get enough vitamin A – This vitamin helps skin regenerate faster, reduce blemishes, and minimize wrinkles. Carrots, red and orange peppers, broccoli, and green leafy vegetables are all good food sources of this vitamin. You can also take vitamin A as a supplement.
- Get adequate amounts of sleep – Sleep is vital to your overall health. Your body repairs itself when you sleep, so losing even a few hours per night can lead to a host of health issues including acne. The average person needs 7 to 9 hours per night. You may need more or less. The best way to determine how much sleep you need is to listen to your body.
Not every treatment is the same. Very few treatments are able to get rid of blackheads, whiteheads and spots effectively to provide desired results. This website is here to make you aware of the most effective natural medications in the market. The treatments on this site are ranked according to the results experienced by hundreds of consumers. We took this approach because there is no superior way to know what treatment works best than directly inquiring from people who have used them. There’s also information on where to buy genuine products and avoid cheap low potency imitations.
Top Rated Options
#1 Clear Skin Max – 6 piece kit
Clear Skin Max has been helping people world over break free from their acne problems in the privacy of their home. We observed that Clear Skin Max has achieved excellent track record of getting real results without the need of paying expensive visits to dermatologists.
Clear Skin MAX is not just another topical treatment. It is a complete skin care management system. It is a potent 6 stage solution that is effective for mild to severe breakouts of all types. This cautiously researched, 6 step system helps get rid of acne no matter if its teenage or adult acne.
Clear Skin MAX has scientifically tested ingredients that clean, clear and purify skin deeply without drying it out. This formulation incorporates Tava Tea, a strong antioxidant, to compliment externally applied skin preparations for more effective action. Tava Tea has very powerful internal healing & cleansing effects. On account of this thorough inside out cleansing, various causes are eliminated from the root.
Why is Clear Skin Max the best choice? Unlike other treatments, huge number of positive results is solid proof that Clear Skin Max works. It’s the perfect choice for those with newly formed and old acne problems of face or body.
- Gives anti-inflammatory relief
- Protects skin from clogging – removes pimples, dark spots
- Protects from bacteria that causes the eruptions
- Erases even the most obstinate cases.
- Guaranteed smooth skin or full money back
- No Side Effects
- Not Available in Stores
- Lower priced fake imitations available on websites other than official website
Caution: Only buy Clear Skin Max from official website to avoid being scammed with duplicate product.
#2 Exposed Acne Treatment – Prescription Strength Medication
Developed by top dermatologists, cosmetologists and other skin care professionals Exposed Acne Treatment is a revolutionary skin care treatment that not only treats the problem but effectively prevents new ones from forming. Based on proprietary blend of Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic acid and natural ingredients this treatment combines science and nature to fight acne and remove scarring.
The powerful antibacterial and antiseptic properties of this product soothe and reduce inflammation to ease painful spots. It’s unique formulation penetrates deeper skin layers and works to clear damaged areas without leaving scars. Customer experience provides strong evidence that this remedy is robustly potent to clear and prevent blackheads, whiteheads and spots from appearing.
This product comes in a 5 piece kit that is preferred by many because it provides fast results and is safe even for the most sensitive skin.
This therapy was rated high on consumer stratification among various anti acne remedies in a recent consumer survey across various countries like Usa, Uk, Australia and Canada. It is one of the best options for sufferers who failed to get relief with other options. And for those who don’t mind using hybrid products that combine the strength of natural remedies and synthetic medications to provide significant results.
- Gets rid of pimples quickly, easily and permanently
- Helps clear existing eruptions and prevents them from coming back
- Evens skin tone
- Safe for all skin types even sensitive skin
- Repairs damaged skin and reduces existing scars
- Reduces redness and inflammation
- Hypoallergenic formulation
- Not all natural
- Not available in stores
#3 Clear Pores – 3 way action
Clear Pores is an holistic system that finds the source of your acne and not only heals the blemishes you have, but also treats future outbreaks that you don’t even see yet. Consumer results suggest that Clear Pores is also one of the most potent solution on the market today.
ClearPores uses naturopathic approach to combat this skin condition. It uses time tested natural methods to regulate hormones and boost body’s ability to remove causative toxins. It effectively maintains internal body functions at optimal levels and kills germs from the outside. This two way action gets rid of all the causes of flare ups.
It’s safe to use because natural ingredients do not dry out the skin and don’t cause more problems like various other prescription medications. We did not encounter any side effects being reported by any user.
ClearPores system is a result oriented alternative like Clear Skin Max for sufferers who don’t want to use treatments having synthetic chemicals. Based on user experience, opinion and satisfaction levels Clear Pores is the third best choice among leading methods.
- Works for mild to severe cases
- No more marks
- Made with all naturalingredients
- Prevents new formations
- 100% natural and organic
- No side effects
- Might have to order more than 4 bottles before you notice results
- Not available in stores
Rankings and Comparison Table:
How long does it take to see results?
How fast would the results show up depend on the severity of your breakouts. Mild breakouts are controlled faster than severe eruptions. In general flare up cycle is roughly two to three weeks long. So acne that will get visible three weeks from today is just starting to form now. It takes approximately 30 days of treatment to completely break the cycle.
While majority of sufferers report seeing improvements within as little as 14 days. But on average it takes roughly 3 full months see significant results that last.